Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Longer Waiting for Baby Witko!

I'm going to give all of you a heads up....this is going to be a long one, but I'll make it easy on you by weaving my story and pictures together.

McKenna's birth story begins on Wednesday, April 7th. I was 38 weeks 1 day pregnant and Brian & I had our weekly OB appointment that included another NST. McKenna failed the NST once again in the office and we were sent to the hospital for observation and for another biophysical profile ultrasound. We asked if there was a possibility of staying and being induced, but Dr. Kagan didn't think so because my cervix still hadn't budged. He decided to schedule our induction for Monday, April 12th.

At Edward Hospital, McKenna continued to be nonreactive. We had our 4th biophysical profile, which she passed once again with flying colors. When we returned to the room, we figured we would be shuffled right out, as we were each week prior.

But, this week was a bit different.

Dr. Weeks looked over the ultrasound and the baby monitor and decided that he wanted us to stay and be induced that evening. He felt that McKenna was trying to tell us something by failing the NST so many times and that we should probably just get her out. Mom, Brian, & I were definitely on board with that decision! Dr. Weeks was aware that Dr. Kagan had scheduled our induction for Monday, but he didn't think that there would be much change to my cervix anyways, so why put it off. At that point we were moved into our labor & delivery room.


To begin the induction process, the nurse inserted a vaginal insert called Cervidil. Cervidil is used in order to begin softening the cervix, it is kept in place for 12 hours.

Wednesday night...night #1

Brian's bed

Wahoo! We're going to have a baby!

Thursday morning we woke up to find out that the Cervidil hadn't done a thing! My cervix had made no change in the 12 hours. The next step was to put me on Pitocin to induce labor. The Pitocin not only brought on contractions, it seemed to bring on endless contractions. It didn't allow me a break in between them...it was awful. Every hour the nurse would come in to increase the amount that was being pumped into my body. Brian was an amazing birthing coach, he talked me through each of the contractions, letting me know when they were at their peak and when they would start to come down. In order to help give me some sort of a break, the doctor gave me a half of a dose of Dilaudid, a pain medication. The Dilaudid gave me the opportunity to rest. Although the Pitocin brought on strong contractions, it did nothing for my cervix. By the end of the evening on Thursday, my cervix had still not budged - ugh!

I was most comfortable sitting in the rocking chair.

Brian & I took a walk hoping that it would help move things along...

Mackenzie stayed at the hospital all day on Thursday and Friday...she said that she just couldn't bear to leave!

Mom & Krissy came too!

...in the waiting room

This is a picture of Dr. Martin's explanation of dilation and effacement that he drew for us. He was pretty much showing us what was NOT occuring for me at the moment.

On Thursday night, the doctors made the decision to take me off of Pitocin and to insert another round of Cervidil. They didn't want to put me through a c-section, so they wanted to try one more round of Cervidil and Pitocin. The strength of my contractions decreased when I was taken off of the Pitocin, so that allowed me to be more comfortable. They also gave me an Ambien to help me sleep.

Thursday night, night #2...Lizzie & Dad came to hang out

When I was taken off of the Pitocin, they let me eat!

Woke up Friday morning to find out that once again the Cervidil hadn't done a thing during the night. So...on to another fun filled day of Pitocin!

walking, walking, walking

The Witkowski's came to visit too!

yummy ice chips!

ahhh...the many emotions of labor...


I spent the entire day getting pumped up full of Pitocin and made no progress. Around 5:00pm, Dr. Frangella checked my cervix and found that I had finally progressed to 1cm. At that point she made the decision to break my water. That is when labor REALLY started. OH.MY.GOD. Mom was right...now that is pain. They decided to give me the other half of the Dilaudid, because they were trying to wait on the Epidural. The Dilaudid gave me some relief, but not much. Due to the amount of pain I was in, the doctor let me get the Epidural at just 1cm. My nurse was the absolutely the best, she walked out of the room, grabbed the anesthesiologist and got him in the room in no time. I'll tell you...I don't know why anyone would opt out of the Epidural...

About an hour later my dad came and sat with me and Brian in the room. I was relaxed and able to rest. Then around 7:30pm, I started to feel an unbelievable amount of pressure in my pelvis. It was terribly uncomfortable as each contraction passed. So, I asked the nurse if she could check my cervix again. Well, in two hours time, I had progressed to 10cm! The nurse looked up at me and said, "Are you ready to have a baby?!" Uh...it's been two days...OF COURSE we're ready to have a baby!!!

From that point on it got pretty crazy in the room. Dad excused himself and headed back to the waiting room. The nurses came in and out of the room getting everything ready. I pushed three times with each contraction and had six contractions. At 8:11pm, McKenna Jo Witkowski was placed on my belly and I heard the most beautiful sound in the world...her cry. Brian & I joined her.

McKenna Jo, my daughter, was a petite 5 lbs. 9 oz. and 18 inches long.

getting all cleaned up

our first picture together
Mommy & McKenna

Daddy & his baby girl

family picture

TOTALLY.WORTH.IT.ALL

first visitors...Grandma & Grandpa Witkowski
and Grandma & Grandpa Milazzo

Kenna & Aunt Puggie

lots of love from Aunt Krissy

MJ with her Aunt Beanie

Aunt Lynn came too!!!

it was time to leave the Labor & Delivery floor...we headed up to our new room on the Mommy & Baby floor of the hospital

McKenna getting settled in her ride

first elevator ride!

chillin in our beds

so wide awake! look at that grip!

new Mommy on Saturday morning

baby belly be gone!

Our McKBunny during her Bella Baby Photography Photo Shoot!

Grandma lovin' on her girl

Kenna loves her Uncle Brady...

...and her Aunt Megan!

Aunt Katie will always have a special place in her heart!

Grandma Witkowski is so excited for a baby girl!

Uncle Brad came to visit McKenna at the hospital on Sunday

Auntie Deana came too! Kenna wished that Kailey could have come!

Here's Dad getting McKenna all dressed and ready to head home from the hospital!

ready to go!

After 5 long days in the hospital we were ready to go home with our baby girl. We couldn't wait to get her home and into our own routine. McKenna lost a bit of weight in the hospital and left weighing 5 lbs. 1oz. the doctor wanted us to supplement the nursing with formula in order to help her put on some weight. They wanted to see her at the doctor on Tuesday, April 13th for a weight check.

6 comments:

Tayarra said...

Following your story has been absolutely amazing. Congratulations to you all. She really is beautiful. Another chapter to go yet. Thanks for sharing it.

Aunt Kim said...

Wow, Rachel. I am speechless and at a loss for what to write, because this post is the one we've all been waiting and praying for. Tears were on my face as I was reading this and am so very happy for you and Brian. Thank you, more than words can say, for allowing all of us, to be on this journey with you. She is here!!! Healthy, happy, and beautiful! Enjoy these first weeks! We can't wait to meet McKenna! (I am liking the MJ nickname alot, too!)

Love, love and more love.
Aunt Kim

Ang Kinney said...

I have been checking back (everyday) to hear the birth story. She is wonderful. I am so proud of you guys!! Angie

mugsy said...

I am so excited for you guys and love little McKenna so much all ready! I can't wait until she has a new best friend to play with this fall!

tamilazzo said...

I'm crying all over again and reliving the days and hours before the birth of our first grandchild, McKenna Jo. Your Dad and I are so blessed and so very proud of you and Brian. The two of you need to have at least three more, because you handled the entire birth flawlessly! Thank you for making me a Grandma! I love you!!!

Momma

KatieK said...

I have chills running up & down my arms, and tears streaming down my face. You've been on an incredible journey, and the birth of your beautiful McKenna Jo is the gold at the end of the rainbow for sure!

I'm looking forward to watching you, Brian, and McKenna as you embark on the next phase of this journey as a family!

Love you all so much. Katie