Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart....
I started my week hearing those words...
Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart....
I had my monthly OB appointment on Monday the 7th after school at 4:50pm. I went by myself. All they typically do for your monthly appointment is listen to the baby's heartbeat, measure your stomach, test your urine, and answer any questions you may have. Because these appointments are so quick and the doctor's office is near my school, Brian & I figured that I could go it alone rather than have him try to rush there after work.
On Monday, that's just how my appointment started. I heard McKenna's heartbeat, which was 144 bpm. I even taped it to my phone and then texted it to my family - which the nurse said I was first person to ever do! (If you want me to send it to you, text me!)
After the heartbeat, we continued as usual, my urine came back fine - no protein and whatever else they test for - then she measured my stomach. She measured from the top of my rounded belly (where my uterus begins) to my pelvic bone. I measured 21 inches - which is perfect! She said that you should measure as many inches as you are weeks along in your pregnancy.
When we were done with all of the basic things, the nurse stepped out and said that Dr. Kagan would be in shortly.
Dr. Kagan then came into the room. He told me that he had the results of our ultrasound.
I started my week hearing those words...
Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart....
I had my monthly OB appointment on Monday the 7th after school at 4:50pm. I went by myself. All they typically do for your monthly appointment is listen to the baby's heartbeat, measure your stomach, test your urine, and answer any questions you may have. Because these appointments are so quick and the doctor's office is near my school, Brian & I figured that I could go it alone rather than have him try to rush there after work.
On Monday, that's just how my appointment started. I heard McKenna's heartbeat, which was 144 bpm. I even taped it to my phone and then texted it to my family - which the nurse said I was first person to ever do! (If you want me to send it to you, text me!)
After the heartbeat, we continued as usual, my urine came back fine - no protein and whatever else they test for - then she measured my stomach. She measured from the top of my rounded belly (where my uterus begins) to my pelvic bone. I measured 21 inches - which is perfect! She said that you should measure as many inches as you are weeks along in your pregnancy.
When we were done with all of the basic things, the nurse stepped out and said that Dr. Kagan would be in shortly.
Dr. Kagan then came into the room. He told me that he had the results of our ultrasound.
Results? what do you mean results? We were already told that it's a girl. What other results could there be?
He then began to tell me that they found something in the baby's heart when they reviewed the ultrasound pictures. It's called Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart. Dr. Kagan tells me not to freak out....and I begin to wonder why I'm at this appointment by myself. I'm trying to keep my cool...all I know is I just heard that something is wrong with her heart....
Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart are calcium deposits within the heart muscle. McKenna's is in her ventricular valve. They don't cause any problems with form or function of the heart. Her heart is healthy. They won't be there all of her life, they could dissipate as early as the 3rd trimester.
Echogenic Foci of the Fetal Heart is a marker for Down Syndrome. There are several other items that can be found during an ultrasound exam that some researchers have felt that may have a significant association with Down Syndrome. These findings may be seen in normal fetuses, but some obstetricians believe that their presence increases the risk of the fetus having Down syndrome or other chromosomal abnormality. Some of these "markers" include foreshortened thigh and upper arm bones, echogenic bowel, nuchal (or neck) thickening, kidney abnormalities, choroid plexus cysts and structural fetal abnormalities, such as a heart defect.
With that being said, we have a level two ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow, Friday, December 11th at 11:00am. They want to take a closer look at McKenna to see if there are any more indicators - the more markers they find the higher the likelihood of McKenna having Down Syndrome. If that is the only marker she has, then the chance is very very unlikely.
Does it matter what the outcome? No.
Do we care if our daughter has Down Syndrome? No.
Do I still have worries? Yes.
I'm a Special Education Teacher. My most favorite student at school has Down Syndrome. I would be SO blessed to have a child just like him. I couldn't love a child more. But, I would be lying if I didn't express my nervousness for tomorrow and I don't know why.
I have the best husband in the world. He didn't flinch at the news one bit. He didn't care. It doesn't matter one way or another to him. He just gave me a big hug when I got home. McKenna has the best Dad. She'll probably be a Daddy's Girl.
My family responded exactly as I thought they would. They are so so supportive. They love her so much - the outcome doesn't matter.
We'll know more tomorrow after our 11:00am ultrasound.
Trip & I headed to my parent's house on Wednesday for our week 21 dinner. It was just Mom, Kris, & I.
same 'ol same 'ol 39 in.
Week 21 info:
Baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long - the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like she's practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you're having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well. (she's not happy I just told you that!)

9 comments:
Well, how can I NOT comment about the bottom line of this post?! McKenna Girl, get used to it! Your Momma is going to tell us all about every last detail of your little life! :) We need to know these things!
As usual Rachel, your post has blown me away. We can see right into your heart as you share your feelings with us. As I've told you time & time again, regardless of the outcome, McKenna is the luckiest little girl to have you & Brian as her parents. No child will feel more loved, more valued, more cherished than this sweet baby girl. And, if Sweet Baby Girl does have some special needs...physical, mental, whatever...all the luckier she is to have you for her mom! You will provide all that she needs to lead a successful life!
My prayers tonight will be for comfort & peace for you tomorrow.
Love you so much!
Katie
And...Baby is lookin' big in that belly!! I LOVE these belly shots!! :)
You and Brian will be wonderful parents no matter what. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.
Love,
Courtney K.
Our thoughts are with you guys tomorrow. McKenna will be very lucky to have you both as parents, no matter what the outcome.
Love you guys!
Deana, Brad and Kailey
This is the third time I've read your post and I still can't read the entire blog because my tears are flowing. You know I have to hunt and peck so it is very difficult to type when you can't see the keys! Nothing more to say to you because you know my MJ will be so loved and that we are so blessed. She will be OUR girl and you and Brian will be the best parents ever! I love you honey.
Momma
I haven't commented in awhile and you probably don't remember that I follow your blog, but I had to comment this time. I had a similar experience with my 2nd son. They told us he had a "bright spot" in his heart and that it was one of the signs of down's. I too worked with special needs children at one time and my all time favorite student also had down's. I love him to death, but no one really wants that for their child. We also had a level 2 ultrasound to take a look at everything else. Turned out everything looked fine, but that was no guarantee that the little boy I was carrying was going to be 100% healthy once he arrived. We prayed about it. I tried to get it out of my mind, but as a mother you really can't ever forget it. The day I delivered I couldn't wait for them to put him on my chest so I could look at his beautiful face. I'm not going to lie, when they did I had the biggest sigh of relief seeing how perfect he was. He didn't have down's and was that 100% healthy baby that I had prayed for. No one can guarantee everything will be ok, but it seems like no matter what the outcome is going to be, you, Brian, and that beautiful baby girl are going to be blessed.
Praying for you.
Tayarra
http://rtrsharpfamily.blogspot.com/
Rachel, God does not give you anything you can't handle.
You have all of the love and support of everyone who loves you. Your education has trained you on the needs of children with special needs and should that be McKenna, she is a lucky child to have you and Brian as parents. You were raised in a family that is totally accepting of others and loving...what better environment to grow up in, no matter what!
We love her and know that she will be a much loved, happy baby.
I am thinking of you this morning.
Love,
Aunt Kim
PS. I don't think my first response showed up...so re-wrote this post again...sorry if two show up.
I usually don't leave a comment, but I feel today I just have to. Rachel, you are one of the most caring, kind, and gernerous people I know. When I first met you, I really thought that you were just being nice, but then I met your family and it's not that you have to be, but you are. Your family is wonderful, and I really feel like you are all a second family to me. This baby was given by God, and He knows you and Brian were the best parents for her. You have had an interesting last 3 years and I can't say that I would have made it through the way you have. I'm so happy that I'm going to be an Aunt, and I know Eric feels the same about being an Uncle. My prayers are with you today and until this little one is born.
Love,
Sabrina
We support you 100%. She is very lucky to have you guys as parents. I am thinking of you!!
Post a Comment