Thursday, April 16, 2009

Are We Shooting Darts?

Mary Lou, my awesome home visit nurse, came tonight to give me my first shot without Brian. She admired my medication basket (see picture) and then got to work right away filling up the syringes. Tonight she had to give me both the Delestrogen and the Progesterone. She had them ready in a flash and then we went into my room so that I could lay against the bed. Mary Lou has given many a shot and had no qualms about quickly counting 1, 2, 3 and then darting the needle into my behind. She did it exactly like I've been telling Brian not to do it, just like she was shooting a dart...BULLSEYE! It was quick and easy. I guess I've been wrong - Brian should probably be doing it like that. I mean yeah...I did flinch like crazy but it was over in no time. She first did the Progesterone in the right cheek and then the Delestrogen in the left. The Progesterone shot bled more than it ever has, but with some pressure and massaging...yes, massaging! It stopped. Bing Bang Boom and Done!

hey, if you're going to have a ton of meds...
you might as well keep them in a cute basket!

Mary Lou and I had a very nice conversation while she was over. She even gave me a big hug when she left! I definitely have to think about getting her a bottle of wine or something.

It was pretty funny today at school, because I walk with a bit of a limp right now. There were many questions as to if I was okay. Around 10:30pm the Progesterone shots really start to bug me and it continues into the next day (and when you're getting the shot daily - well, then it is just a constant ache on both sides!) . My muscle feels very tight and if I sit for long periods of time I get really stiff. It's like I'm an old woman walking down the hall! When my little Austin wanted to hop on one foot down the hall this afternoon, I must have looked like a loony - the things you do to get a kid to walk down the hall!

Oh well!

By the way, I got my haircut today. Finally got rid of all of those split ends some really nice parent at school acknowledged the other day. Gotta love when people have no filter! Not sure if these are the greatest pictures...but you get the idea!


Tomorrow is finally Friday! Happy Weekend everyone!

...one more final comment...Aunt Kim, OF COURSE the camera will be in tow when we come for Sal's First Communion! I wouldn't miss an opportunity to get the Richfield Milazzo's on the blog! Love you guys, thanks so much for following! See you soon!

9 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

Hello Rachel,
You are adorable with the meds basket! :)

Thanks for keeping us posted. Horray on your nurse administering the shot. And now you can have Brian give you the shot like that from now on! (see, everything happens for a reason...)
I still think its so awesome that the nurse is coming to your house and helping like that!

LOVE the new haircut, too!

Continued prayers and love your way! See you soon!

Love,
Aunt Kim

Mackenzie said...

(this is all in baby voice like you and bella do 99% of the time!) im sorry that you butt cheeks hurts! im so happy that the nurse is coming and helping you guys out! thats awesome! and your hair is beatiful!! love you and see you tomorrow!!

tamilazzo said...

Oh my sweet girl..... Your hair looks beautiful! This baby is going to have the best looking parents!! Love you, Momma

Sara said...

LOVE the hair!!! And I couldn't help but to laugh when I read the kind comment a parent had made. It reminded of the unfiltered comment about us not being able to eat pizza or drink beer cause we were engaged!!!!!! AND IT WAS FAT TUESDAY!!!!! :)

Ah....good ol' Graham- you gotta love it!

And GREAT analogy to shooting darts- I had a fabulous image in my mind..... ;) Btw, can you practice that at the Foundry?

It was wonderful as always chatting with you on FB. We must set dates to do it more often. Miss you ( and just hearing your laugh!) and am trying to get some dates together for me to come back to Chi-town.

LOVE YOU!!!!

FGW said...

Hey, that shooting darts sounds like fun. Do you have the different point values for different areas? ha ha You know how much Brian likes to do well at games! Love the haircut! It will look great at the wedding. Can't wait to see it. Love you both lots!! Barb & Rich

Unknown said...

Hey Friend!! We didn't get to talk on Friday but I was glad to catch up through the blog. Your hair is so pretty and you look great! Reading the blog gave me many "text to self" moments (first grade reading strategy)! First...the dart technique...When Kathleen was getting her shots at home and Steve was administering them nightly. It used to make me crazy that he actually would do it the dart way. He said it was better for her and that is what the directions said. So I begged him to try it gentler and I knew it would be better for her. Well, it wasn't and the gentler he tried to be the more it hurt her. So...dart method all the way, at least from non medical professionals. It is amazing how much better the nurses do it. When my friend Dawn would come over, the anxiety level went way down. Next...when you ended with your quote of God giving you as much as you can handle. I agree...why is he trusting us so much? I always tried to tell him that I really couldn't handle much but he wasn't listening! I guess we never know the strength we have until we face real challenges. Anyway...you are a very strong woman and I love you a lot. I'm praying with you in spirit every day and using my mental imagery (why do I keep referring to first grade reading strategies??) of you and Brian holding a little crying bundle of joy!
xoxoxoxox
Mar

KatieK said...

Only Mar would be able to write text to self connections in her blog comment! :) I'm impressed!

Hope the party tonight is a fun one! And I also hope your nurse tonight makes the shots quick and painless. I'm sure she'll be fast since she's squeezing your shots in between prom pictures!

Talk to you soon! Love --Katie

The Witkowski Family said...

Hi all,
I know that I don't usually write comments, but I just wanted to let you all know how much the comments mean to me...yes, I'm sitting here in tears! haha, you know me! Aunt Kim, Mackie, Mom, Barb, Sara, Mar, and Katie I just can't thank you enough for leaving me such nice words. It truly truly means a lot!

Mar...I tell ya...you have such great VOICE in your writing. I can just hear you talking! I love you too!Thanks for always being one of my most bestest friends!

Sar...oh my gosh! I can't believe you brought up the pizza and beer comment because Michelle and I were just talking about that. Wow, Graham parents can sure be brash! haha. We always had the best times together. I miss you so much!!!!

Katie, mom, Mackie, Barb, and Aunt Kim...You guys know how much I love you, I think I say it all the time!...thanks for being there for me!

...and for anyone else who may comment...

I LOVE YOU TOO!

Okay... I'm off to the city for some heavy partying for Megan's Bachelorette Party...Chair Striptease here I come!

Angie Kinney said...

The hair looks good. Keep it up girl! Love you.