Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So Long 'Cyst'-er!

As I had said last week, Mackenzie was scheduled for an ultrasound in order to check up on the cyst that had formed this cycle. They changed her appointment to 12:15pm, so I was able to go with her after school. Our ride there was filled with nervous conversation. I think neither of us really knew what to think. We were hopeful for the best, but also preparing ourselves for a the probable Cyst Aspiration scheduled for Wednesday.

When we arrived we sat in the waiting room talking and joking around with Victoria (the do-it-all receptionist) and Marilu (the nurse) for quite a while. We really are so lucky to have such a great staff to work with on a weekly (daily) basis! They seem to really care about us as people, not just as patients.

Mackenzie was called back into the room for her ultrasound around 12:45pm. I can't explain how nervous we were ... I think Dr. Hickey was too ...

right before Dr. Hickey came in

Dr. Hickey began the ultrasound and went immediately to her right ovary... and then we all saw it...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! There was NOTHING there. The cyst was GONE! I jumped up and made a small yell. Mackenzie just kept saying, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. You should have seen Dr. Hickey's face. It was a mixture of surprise and excitement. I don't think he could believe it either.

When the ultrasound was over, Dr. Hickey and the nurse excused themselves out of the room and Mackenzie and I just burst into tears. We gave each other a big hug and tried to put ourselves back together. Then we met them back in the hall to talk about the next step.

They decided to keep our transfer date the first week of August. They want to give Mackenzie's ovaries some time to relax and regroup after the cyst burst (or whatever it did), so Mack will continue taking her birth control pills until Sunday the 19th. Next week she should begin her period and then she'll go back into the office on her Day Two. On her Day Two they will do another ultrasound and take blood work and that evening she will begin her injections.

I will continue as previously planned. I have another office visit this Friday and will continue all of my injections that I have already begun.

We DO NOT need to go in tomorrow, Mackenzie is free and clear! YAY!!! I can't even believe it! Thank you for all of your prayers - it sure is amazing how well they work!

After our appointment we met Kristen at Portillo's for a little celebratory lunch - yum!


Brian, Mackenzie and I are so touched by your thoughts and prayers. We can't thank you all enough. It sure has been a bumpy road...one that isn't sure to ever be paved. We wouldn't be able to make it through this without the love and support we have received from all of our friends and family. We love you all very much, thank you!

Oh! and keep them comin' - we're not done yet!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great! Why make the process any harder than it has to be? I love the picture of your sis with the little sheet. She is much more tolerate then I would be with that camera always out and ready to "capture the moment". I also love that you guys went to good old Portillos to celebrate. Yummy! Thinking of you :) Michelle

KatieK said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! I have been teary eyed all afternoon, thinking about how glad I am that the pesky cyst burst on its own. I absolutely think, without a doubt, that prayer works! :) And, sometimes we might not get the answer or result we expect, but God is hearing our prayers and answering them the way He sees fit. I'm just glad He chose to answer it the way we were all praying He would for Mack today! So happy for you guys, and most especially for Mackenzie today. Love you lots & lots! --Katie

Angie Kinney said...

Oh my goodness, my eyes just filled with tears. I am so glad the cyst is gone. Love you guys so much!!!

Susan said...

Fantastic news - so happy for you girls - and I am sure your Mom is so relieved! ONWARD. Prayers and Love to you all, Susan

Barb said...

Wonderful news! Prayer is a powerful thing. Now on to the next phase, time seems to be going faster as it gets closer to the transfer day. I can hardly wait. All our love, Barb

Aunt Malo said...

Mom called me as soon as she got your news - can't believe she didn't have her cell with her! So much good news coming your way. You know we are always there for you. Love, Aunt Malo

GBA 24/7 said...

I thought I left a comment last night...guess it didn't stick. I am so happy for the Witko's and Pugga! This is awesome! I am a little jealous that I missed out on the Portillos though. Have a great rest of the week...it's Hump Day!

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you all. Lets keep the good news coming. Love you Meem

Aunt Kim said...

Way to go, Mackenzie!!! I am so glad that the cyst was gone but you were ready to battle it anyway! Proud of you for that!

Rachel, thank you for the post and news. You really do such a fabulous job of making us all feel like we really know what is going on and how you feel. I couldn't wait to get on to the computer and check on how the Wednesday appt for Mackenzie went!

Love,
Aunt Kim