Monday, March 8, 2010

Two Thoughts...

As you may recall, I had another doctor appointment scheduled for Friday morning in order to find out the fate of the rest of my pregnancy. Would I continue to be on bedrest or would I be okay to head back to work on Monday?

As always, we started out with the nurse visit...my belly measured 33 inches, McKenna's heartrate was 158 bpm, and my blood pressure....was...high...140/100...

When Dr. Kagan came in he was obviously concerned with my blood pressure and the fact that it hadn't come down at all. He reviewed the results from my 24 hour urineanalysis. My tests came back fine, but what the tests revealed is that I don't have severe preeclampsia. Dr. Kagan realized that they don't have the results from one of the tests needed to rule out preeclampsia all together.

At this point, he had two thoughts. The first being that I may have mild preeclampsia, the second being that I may have chronic hypertension.

Due to the fact they didn't have the results to rule out mild preeclampsia, Dr. Kagan ordered another 24 hour urineanalysis for me to do on Sunday and drop off at the hospital on Monday.

In the meantime, he prescribed me high blood pressure medication to begin taking immediately. He's hoping I have chronic hypertension - it's the better option of the two! - and that my body begins to respond to the medication, slowly lowering my blood pressure.

I have another doctor appointment on Wednesday night. At that point, they'll hopefully be able to really know what is going on with my body. We'll have the urineanalysis results and they'll also be able to see if my blood pressure is responding to the medication.

Dr. Kagan kept me on bedrest until we know more on Wednesday night.

3 comments:

Ang Kinney said...

Rest now Rach! I know you have a hundred things going on in your mind right now but most important is to take care of mommy! I promise you everything falls into place. I hope the shower was wonderful, sorry we could not be there. I want to come when I can snuggle with that sweet baby (and you of course). I love you so much. Hang tight You are almost to the end!!!!
P.S. ANG IS #1!!!!

Aunt Kim said...

I agree w/ Angie!! Get the rest you need NOW and follow doctor's orders. Try to relax and just do what needs to be done.

We, too, were sorry we couldn't be there this weekend! If I could have been in four places at once, I would have!!! :)

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday and sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

Love,
Aunt Kim
P.S. I'LL TAKE THE SILVER, ANG! :)

T said...

alright looks like im bronze. At least baby Mckenna is still doing well and her heart rate is stable. I hope the blood pressure meds work for you. Just think more daytime tv fun :)