Thursday, April 23, 2009

Biopsy Schmiopsy

It's over! I survived my Endometrial Biopsy! Obviously I feel good enough that I'm already blogging about it!

We left our house around 12:50ish...a bit early, but the nervousness took over and I just had to go. I had taken the Valium pill that Dr. Hickey had given me just before we left. It didn't really make me feel any different, except that my head started to get a little swimmy. Otherwise I was fine.

Brian & I ready to roll!

They called us into the room at around 2:10ish. First he did an ultrasound and you'll never guess...my lining was at 10.9mm!!! AHHHH!!! YES!!!! (I asked...the units for lining is millimeters) He then traced out a line that he would follow to complete the biopsy. Your prayers worked - THANK YOU!

Here is the picture of my ultrasound.
The green line is the path Dr. Hickey drew -
it is the path he followed to the promise land!

Dr. Hickey asked how I was feeling and I told him how the Valium wasn't really affecting me...just a swimmy head. He decided to give me some Lydocane (Novacane) shots in my lining and cervix. Those shots hurt a bit, but not too bad - they were over pretty quick. Dr. Hickey and Sue, my nurse, left to let the Lydocane do its thing.

I made Brian take a picture of all of the
"tools" that were going to be used!
...notice the scissors...yikes!

Here we are waiting for the Lydocane to start numbing me up!
Isn't Brian the best?!

After about 5-10 minutes, they came back ready to begin the biopsy procedure. For the women out there...think Pap Smear...uncomfortable...awkward...that pretty much describes it! He then thread a catheter up to snag/suck some of the lining. Brian described it as a straw full of lining...nice huh? It was a very uncomfortable feeling - I actually felt a lot of pressure in the area under my belly button. I closed my eyes and Brian squeezed my hand. It was over pretty quickly.

Dr. Hickey said that I did a great job, and he also thanked me for not kicking him! ha...I'm guessing some other patients had a harder time than I did! He also said that I was very tough! HA DAD! TOUGH! The only time I've been described as tough is when I was slamming girls against the boards in indoor soccer! ...I never thought that I would compare the two.

All in all I feel pretty good. I'm a little worried about how I'll feel when the Lydocane and the Valium wear off, but we'll see.

ALL DONE! YAY!

My reward for being so tough...
a VENTI nonfat iced Caramel Macchiato...
Starbucks heals everything!

I was reading "Conceive" magazine while we were waiting to be called in and I came across an advertisement that made me think of one of my most favorite people...

Mar Moran...this one's for you! Love you!
By the way...it's called the "Conception Curve Pillow"
...you just don't use pillows to prop up your butt anymore girls!
HILARIOUS!

11 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

Good job Rachel and Brian!!! Rachel, you were so tough I am proud of you!!!

OMG I looked at that last picture and was thinking "what the heck is it"? until I read "conception curve pillow". Then I could see the legs and pillow part!

I hope you felt OK after the meds wore off. What a day! You got through it and that was a very cute pic of the Starbucks drink!

Thanks again for all the posts!
Much love and hugs,

Aunt Kim

KatieK said...

Wow, two posts in one day...I'm impressed!! You ARE one tough woman! :) Don't let your Dad tell you anything different!

I'm so glad that this day is behind you. Now, the waiting game begins! I can't wait for you to get that call next week that all systems are 'go'! Then we can look forward to everything that next month will bring!

I love the Starbucks picture, too. Like we talked about today...that is truly the best medicine out there!

Hope you can sleep well tonight! My fingers are crossed that you'll feel well enough to come to work tomorrow. I'm so lonely when you are aren't there!

Love you lots! --Katie

Unknown said...

Yeah, I am so happy for you. I know there are much more happier things to come. I am so proud of you. I love the picture of you and Brian. You are so cute together. He is truly one of the great ones. Looking forward to the next post.

Love you and miss you Meg

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that it wasn't such a big deal. Don't know how you are feeling now that the shots wore off though! I can't wait til the good news comes next week. Just holding my breath and saying my prayers. Love you so much!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Glad everything went well today. You are so brave! Love the pics of you and Witko! You guys are too cute! We will keep thinking positive and praying for the outcome next week! Loved the last part of todays blog! How funny! Hope you are feeling well after all the meds are worn off. Keep us posted! Love you both!
~Deana and Brad

Steph Bea said...

Yippeee! I'm so glad it went well, guys! You are very faithful with your picture taking and we just love it! xoxo

Steph

mackenzie said...

im soo excited!! im patiently wait here and its nice to hear everything went well!! i was excited when bri texted me while everything was going on! you guys are the best!! love you so much!! cant wait for the good news next week!! muah!!

Mommy K said...

So glad it went well...will keep praying for good news when the results come in!!!
Hugs, Katie Hoyt

mugsy said...

Wow! If only it was as easy as that pillow makes it look :) I'm so happy that things are finally all moving in the right direction. It won't be long now! Love you!

tamilazzo said...

I am so thankful that my little girl has so much support from our wonderful family and her fantastic friends. No internet or cell phones in Galena but I'm home now and so thankful that Rachel and Brian have the prayers from all over the US.

Macker, you are the best and we are praying for you too!

I love you all,

The Momma

Mackenzie said...

thanks momma!