Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy Birthday...

...to my most favorite Mom in all the world! Thank you for always being there for me... and supporting me...and loving me...and for being my bestest friend! I hope you had the most wonderful day! You're the best! I LOVE YOU!


Now onto the fertility news update...

Today at 3:30pm I had my "Take Two" ultrasound for the week. Dr. Hickey wanted to see my lining for himself. Today it ended up being at around a 7 or 8...in one spot it was as high as 8.9! Dr. Hickey said that last week there was a quick increase of estrogen (due to my inserted pill) and it made my lining fluff up. Then within this past week it kind of sunk down into itself and became more dense; causing it to be thinner. I am already on a pretty high dosage of estrogen and increasing it wouldn't do anything. He said that it could be that I, myself, don't get a very thick lining, so this already may be thick for me. We're not sure...only the biopsy would tell us for sure or not.

So, we are going to go ahead with the biopsy. It is scheduled for Thursday, April 23rd at 2:15pm right in my doctor's offices.

There are two possibilities with the outcome of the Endometrial Biopsy. The first is that they find through the biopsy that I am "in phase" meaning that my lining is able to support pregnancy. If we find that this is true, our next step would be to enter in our "Donor Cycle"! It means that we can move forward with our plans of Mackenzie donating her eggs to us. I would complete this whole med/ultrasound/blood work cycle again, but the end result would be the transfer of Mackie's eggs (not the biopsy). The other possibility that we may find out is that I am not in phase. If I'm not in phase, it will likely be due to the thinner lining, so they will do a D and C. A D and C is a procedure to scrape and collect the tissue (endometrium) from inside the uterus. They would do this to completely clean out my uterus. Then we would start the "Biopsy Cycle" all over once again in order to see if we can get to the thicker lining level of 11 or 12.

I'm sure you can tell which one I'm rooting for!

In order to prepare for my biopsy next week I had to begin ANOTHER Intramuscular Injection tonight. I no longer take the daily Lupron injection (the one in my stomach). But :) I continue with my Monday/Thursday injection of Delestrogen (the one in my butt) and I add a daily injection of Progesterone in Oil...it is also injected into my rear end... The IM injections need to be completed by Brian on their specific evenings at 6:15pm. As we're about to leave the dr.'s office he realized that he is going to be out of town this weekend for Brad's Bachelor Party. He is leaving on Thursday and isn't getting back until Monday! Well, what the heck do I do now???

My wonderful, wonderful, wonderful nurses came to the rescue! We found out that one of our nurses lives right near our house. She is going to COME OVER on Thursday, Friday and Monday night to give me my injection! Can you even believe it! How lucky am I?! But that still leaves me Saturday and Sunday. Another one of my nurses, Amy, offered to have me over to her house both Saturday and Sunday in order to give the shot to me - she couldn't come over because her son has prom... I can't believe she even considered it. So on Saturday on my way to the city for Megan's Bachelorette Party, I'm going to stop off in Elmhurst to get injected and then on Sunday I'll head up there again after my friend, Deana's baby shower. Seriously unbelievable! I am so taken back by their generosity. This is why I stayed with Dr. Hickey and his staff. This is why I didn't second guess everything...they are just so kind. They really do want the best for their patients.

Next week's outlook is this:
Wednesday, April 22 at 8:00am - Blood Work
Thursday, April 23 at 2:15pm - Endometrial Biopsy

Keep those prayers coming that everything works out for the positive! Thanks for reading!

Side note...
Brian asked our nurse, Amy, if she had any tips about how to make the IM shots less painful, I think it's killing him that I cry every time! Well...they worked! She said to take a cold pack and hold in on the area while Brian prepares the syringes, then when he is finished giving me the shot take a warm wash cloth and hold it on the area. Laying down this time made it much better too - I couldn't flex my muscle as easy.....it only took us how long to get it right? Thank goodness we did though - I'm not sure how much longer I was going to be able to take it!

9 comments:

KatieK said...

I'm so glad that the nurses have come to your rescue with the shots! I think I love you a little too much to get myself to stick you with a needle! I don't know how Brian does it each night...he is one in a million! And, I'm so happy that Amy had some good tips for making it less painful.

My fingers...toes...everything is crossed for 'in phase' next week!

Love--Katie

tamilazzo said...

I just had the best day because of my girls, husband, family and friends! How blessed am I? Now God needs to bless my special Rachel.... Come on God you can do it! YOU won't be disappointed!

GBA 24/7 said...

It was good seeing you last night Rachey! I am sorry the shots hurt so much, but thanks for showing me the bruises. Did you tell Brian that you are just a little girl (that should be read in baby voice)! Anyway, I will pray for you to be thick (that just sounds funny!). Big hug for you and the Witko-man. Side note - I didn't realize how much I am gone until I started to read this blog. Please take a picture or two this weekend to show the fans that Milazzo girl #3 is still present.

Aunt Kim (Richfield) said...

Hi Rachel,

(If this appears twice, sorry! Don't think I submitted it correct first time?)

Anyway....thank you so much for this last post. Wow! So much going on! I am getting a good feeling that all is progressing well and will work out. This will all be sooooo worth it very soon! Continued love and support being sent to you and Brian! I am happy to hear about your nurses' extra help! That is awesome!
Much love!

And...Happy Birthday, Tam!!! :)

Love,
Aunt Kim (Richfield)

P.S. If you guys are able to make it to Cleveland next month for Sal's Communion, Rachel better bring that traveling camera because we want to be on the blog, too! he he

Anonymous said...

Before reading the comments I was wondering why your good friend Katie wasn't offering up her services to give you the shot! Who are we kidding - she would never be able to do it! I, on the other hand.......but that might be weird since we've only met a few times?? ;)

Angie Kinney said...

HAPPY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS YOUR WAY RACH!!! Happy Birthday Aunt Tam. Gosh how I miss you guys. Love, Ang

Mackenzie said...

oh rachhyyy...im praying for you! these blogs could be on a happy note and i still cry...cant help being emotional through all of this. but i sure know you guys have angels around helping you out!! love brian and of course your soo much!! (love you 2,3)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying but with little success to post a comment. Trying again. If I can get this to go through I'll send a more detailed message.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you guys! I know we don't live that close to each other, but if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call us at anytime! We are here for you both! Love you! Deana and Brad