Alright, first I just want to clarify that although my biopsy turned out to be the most excellent news possible, we still have quite a process ahead of us. The actual donor transfer is still a ways off.
So, Lizzie & anyone else out there, please put out that "It's A Boy!" cigar! It's still a bit too early to completely declare victory! :) But, Lizzie, thank you for making me laugh so hysterically at that comment last night on the phone...gosh, what would I do without my sisters?! Could a girl be any luckier???
I called HCR (Hinsdale Center for Reproduction) this morning in order to speak to Sue and get the low-down. So, here's the latest:
Due to all of the estrogen we were pumping into my body (injections, injections, insertions, injections...) in order to get my lining to the optimal millimeter, my estrogen level is now over 1000. In order to proceed safely my cycle needs to reset itself and my estrogen level needs to decrease all the way back to 20. Um...yeah...20.
Here's the thing...every woman's cycle does this each month...increases-decreases...it's just usually you don't know anything about it. It just happens. I, on the other hand...now know EVERYTHING. Due to my situation, it can take one or two cycles before my estrogen level gets back down to 20. Sue brought up the fact that my body doesn't ever seem to react the way we think it is going to (it has a mind of its own) so, we aren't really sure what it is going to do.
Today is actually already Day Two of my next cycle - which was very surprising to Sue. Usually it takes much longer after a biopsy for you to get your period. But, as we all know, my body and the word "usually" don't often mix. So, four days after my biopsy, the lining I worked so hard to build is now already shedding. Shedding lightly I may add, which is another surprise - but kinda nice :)
So, here's the plan - Dr. Hickey does not need to see me just yet. We're going to wait 3 weeks. I will go in on Wednesday, May 20th for an ultrasound and blood work. They are thinking that this might not be a "real" cycle restart. My cycle has not been the most easy to follow due to all of the ovarian failure going on, so we're just waiting to see what happens. If I get my period again before the 20th, I will then go in on the Day Three of that cycle. They will do an u/s and blood work in order to see what is going on and to recheck my estrogen level.
In the meantime, Mackenzie will call on her next Day One (today is her Day 23), and possibly schedule a Day Three appointment - which is an u/s and blood work. They'll put her on Birth Control that way they'll be able to figure out her cycle dates and start timing out when the donor process could possibly take place. Now remember, this won't occur for at least a few months.
So...once again...we wait. But...it's a happy waiting period. :) :) :)
Are you following? I know that this process can be pretty hard to follow so please leave me a question on my comments and maybe my next post will be a Q&A with your new Reproductive Endocrinologist - Dr. Rachel Witkowski!
ps...Thanks Tara for our "talk" today over email. Lizzie is so lucky to have you as a best friend and us Milazzo sisters are so lucky to have you as a "sister". Love you!
Oops! I forgot to add...did anyone notice that I've gone international?! That's right...WORLDWIDE!
5 years ago

6 comments:
Rachel ~ you are just awesome. Thank you for explaining everything so well. I love the happiness in your 'voice' and we are all right along there with you! I am very happy that you have such a wonderful team of doctors/nurses who are helping you through this process. It's quite amazing, really, all that is happened & what will happen in the future.
So, until next time...much love and support!
Love,
Aunt Kim :)
P.S. I did not receive your text until this morning...I am one of those people who leave their cell phones in the car and miss important messages!!! I logged on first thing (it's now not only on MOnday, right!?) and was so happy to read this morning's news and now this update!
P.S. I did notice that comment from BRAZIL. Cool!
Aunt Kim
:O)
I am so happy for you. I had the biggest smile on my face while reading the great news. It is a long journey. I know it took us 3 years. It is all worth it in the end when you are holding that baby Witko in your arms. I love you and keep you in my prayers everyday. Love Meem
My goodness! How do you have the time to update so often? Everytime I turn around, you have something new posted. I feel like I keep missing things. You really need to figure out how Facebook updates show up on e-mail:) See you tonight!
I am grinning ear to ear and so happy for the progress that is being made. You are so lucky to have the team, including drs., nurses and family working to make "baby witko" happen. You are one brave woman and an inspiration to all. Love you! Aunt Malo
Post a Comment