Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lots of Levels

Brian & I went in to the doctor's office again this morning for pregnancy blood draw #2. They will run these tests a total of 3 times. This is done in order to monitor the levels and make sure they are where they need to be for a healthy pregnancy. This week a friend told us that the outcome of these tests can indicate the possibility of being pregnant with multiples, I guess by how much the levels increase. We asked about that today and they said that it can indicate multiples, but it is not always 100% - they will usually wait until they see multiples in an ultrasound before coming to a conclusion.

While we were there they gave us another tidbit of info about our donors - they told us that they did IVF and had actually had triplets! No wonder they donated the rest of their embryos! :)

After the discussion of multiples, Sue gave me a prescription for folate. She said that they usually prescribe an extra dose of folate (it is already in my prenatal pills) if there is a chance of multiples. She also said that she's not sure if I'll need the prescription, but that they'll give it to me just in case. It won't do any harm if there is one baby, but if there is more than one, we want to make sure there is an extra boost. She said not to fill it until they call and tell me to.

Victoria just called to give us the low down on our blood results. She said that everything looks WONDERFUL! My beta HCG level (pregnancy hormone) went from 308 to 812! Due to this jump in level they have told me to fill the folate prescription - they aren't totally sure, but there is a good chance there is more than one in there! AHHHH!!! My progesterone went from 34.6 to 48.4, which is good too, they just want to see it above 20.

I will go in again on Tuesday for blood draw #3 and then from there we will have our first ultrasound on either Friday the 28th or Monday the 31st!

In the past 2 1/2 years, you don't want to know how many of these tests I took! So, Tuesday afternoon I came home and took one more. They weren't lying - I'M PREGNANT! If you'd like to see this in person, feel free to stop by,
it's on our counter - I just can't bear to throw it away!

We are SOOOO excited!

Stephanie Bea stopped by with a small gift for our little one's room! How cute!
She said that we can always add an 'S' to Witko if we have more than one!

Katie & Steve brought us a congratulatory bouquet of balloons -
Trip just couldn't get enough!
Do you think she had a premonition about the sex of the baby?
She popped the pink one immediately and loved playing with the blue one...

...in time she popped the blue one too...she was so sad!
(there was also a yellow one that she could care less about - weird!)

Brad & Megan got us this very special onesie. For those of you who don't know - our volleyball team is "Team 6"! Seriously, how thoughtful is that!?

We received this delicious fruit and cheese basket from Aunt Kim, Uncle Mike, Marissa, Sammy, and Sal...healthy pregnancy here I come!

------------------------------

We're off to Indianapolis this weekend to visit our friends Jeff, Erica, & Hayden Mandsager. It's the last hurrah before school starts on Monday - ugh! Have a great weekend everyone!

8 comments:

Patty said...

Wow, am I first to comment?!
That is such great news about everything looking so good! So exciting!!
Enjoy your last weekend of freedom...I feel your pain. I go back to work (I am a speech-language pathologist)on Monday, too. Funny how friends and family who have to work all year round don't feel too sorry for me :)

Angie Kinney said...

One of my friends has twins its so wonderful!! I wish you the best. have a safe week end. Love ya!!!

Mommy K said...

Congratulations a million times!!! If you do end up with more than one baby, I'm here for any advice you may need! I love sharing info with Mommy's-to-be. Also, I still have all of my positive pregnancy tests, gross, I know, but I can't throw them away either...
HUGS to all of you!!!!!!
Katie

Anonymous said...

Tears...of joy flow down my cheeks. Really how emotional could I be! Glad to see everything is going so well. Funny how the test is sitting on your counter, but I kept things from my boys that other people thought was weird, but we won't mention that here :) Can't wait for ultrasound day to see if an 's' has to be added to the sign! Love you lots. Have a great weekend before work starts again. I have no sympathy for you, you know that right? Love, Jen

GBA 24/7 said...

Woohoo! Great news! Love, Lizzie

KatieK said...

Good HIGH levels...I love it! :) The more you have, the less we all have to fight over who gets to hold the baby(ies)! I'm glad Steph will be prepared to add an 's' if necessary. I had already checked to make sure there was room for it. And, I'm sure it won't be too hard to get some more onesies made! That is so stinkin' cute!

Enjoy your trip this weekend. I'm glad you are traveling with Trippy-Girl, so you're forced to stop lots of times, for BOTH of you! It's a long way to the middle of the State! (I just can't drop it, can I, Brian?!)

See you MONDAY!!! Yikes! Thanks for feeling our pain, Patty! (Actually, I'm kind of excited to get the year rolling. I miss seeing you every day!)

Lots of love! --Katie

Aunt Kim said...

Yay an update!!! I have been checking everyday (that vacation lapse on my part was awful, haha).

Glad to hear that everything is going well! You are adorable in saving the pregnancy test.

Sounds like a fun trip this weekend before school begins...we have one more week yet. :)

Continued wishes for the best of health and much love and support!

Love,
Aunt Kim

Anonymous said...

we are so happy for you and brian. I know that this was a long process for you but now all you have to do is take care of your self. We wish you all the best!

Roy and Hope