Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Week 14

Week 14 brings big developments! Baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his thumb! He is stretching out and measures about 3 1/2 inches - about the size of a lemon - and he weighs about 1 1/2 ounces. His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body.

My body continues to grow too! I'll admit that a few comments have been made about how I'm starting to get that "cushion" that expectant moms get...uh oh! Now that I'm cleared to workout I better get my butt to XSport!

I'm still feeling great - I'm sleeping great and my nightly UGH! is pretty much gone. At times I feel a bit crampy but Dr. Weeks says thats completely normal. It is also normal to feel the twinges in my lower abdominals...he says that's my ligaments stretching due to my growing uterus.

So...speaking of Dr. Weeks...
He called me last night around 7:45pm. He had ordered a few blood work tests when I went to see him last week - they included some prenatal tests along with a test to see if I'm immune to human parvovirus B19. Human Parvovirus B19 is the virus that causes Fifth's Disease in kids (it is not the same parvovirus that you find in canines). Fifth's Disease is a common childhood illness and since I am a teacher and I'm around kids day in and day out he wanted to check to see if I was already immune to it. (most of us are ... you probably had it as a kid and had no idea ... in that case you are already immune ... it's kinda like Chicken Pox ... you can't get it again)

Dr. Weeks had told me that he would only call if there was a problem with my blood work results, so you can see my surprise when he called last night. But have no fear! He was actually calling to let me know that I am in fact already immune to the human parvovirus. So, if there is to be a student at school who has come down with Fifth's Disease I don't have anything to worry about! Yay! Now if they could just get rid of the flu worries! He went on to say that we'd go over the rest of my results at my next appointment, but that they all came back just fine.

my first ultrasound with Dr. Weeks!


Dinner at mom & dad's was on Monday night this week. Another great meal and great company!

38 inches again this week...I think my body is just shifting...I look WAY more pregnant in this pictures this week, what do you think?

not sure what we're all looking at...

weekly group shot...once again, we sure missed Lizzie!
ugh...please remind me to make sure to elongate my neck...

my #1

cute family

me & my daddy-o (grand-daddy-o!)

me & my momma (grandmomma!)

Aunt Mackie

Pep really wants that bone...Trip is pretending she doesn't see her...

2 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

Great post, Rach. I love your descriptions of the baby's growth. I am so excited for you. This blog is so awesome, not only for all of us to share in this journey with you and Brian, but also for you to go back after the baby (BOY) is here and reflect and remember all you went through, all of the emotions and experiences you had (and all of the weekend trips!). This is even better than a journal. Pictures, events & activities, comments from your friends, family, loved ones,etc...all documented during this moment in time that is your pregnancy. Thank you, again, for sharing it all.

Hugs,
Aunt Kim :)

Anonymous said...

Good news to be able to go back to the "regular" doctor and have all restrictions lifted. Maybe you are showing a teeny bit but if I didn't know you were preggers I wouldn't think anything of it. You look great and healthy!

I love seeing pictures of Pepper, Sammy's sister. We must get those two together! Your sister must be super super strong. I don't think I could lift Sammy at all but he is getting to be a chunky monkey.

Love reading the blog! xoxxoox - Michelle