Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhh Thanksgiving...what a most delicious time of the year! I have found that I REALLY love turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, and everything else that comes with this special Thursday in November.

Every year I am given the job of bringing the green bean casserole...and yes, it is the most delicious green bean casserole you will have ever tasted...I put CHEESE in it! Cheese = good

Trippy loves it too, of course!

As we have done for the past forever, Brian & I (and Trip!) made our way to not one, not two, but three houses to celebrate this holiday of thanks with our families. We first went to his parents house and had a great time with his mom & dad, his brothers, Eric & Kevin, Uncle Doug, & cousin Collin. Yum, yum, yum!

Brian & Doug back from getting more wine...
Brian got one with a cork and Doug, a twist off...
hmm, which one do you think was better??

Eric & Kevin relaxing watchin' the Macy's Thanksgiving parade

dinner time at the Witko's!
Kevin, me, Brian, Collin, Rick, Eric & Doug

me - CranApple juice...Brian - wine

Towards the later part of the afternoon we then headed over to my parents house for some after dinner fun. Brian & dad watched football and us girls (mom, Kris, Liz, Mack & myself) sat at the table chatting, laughing, and playing Rummy. It didn't take long to break out the turkey for turkey sandwich #1 of the day. I love leftovers!

tired of Rummy, pulled out Rummikub!

me and mom took first and second place

Bri, Mack, Kris

I love my sister!

Mackie & Trippy

Around 6pm we headed over to Aunt Lynn & Uncle Rick's house for dessert. Uncle Rick's family was in town for the holiday and the Witkowski's came over for dessert too! We had a nice big crowd. It was nice to all get together at the end of the day, the perfect chance for Brian & I to be with both of our families. We are very lucky how close our families are....not only in distance!

...views of the party...

Witkowski boys...Eric, Brian, & Kevin
when did Brian become the short one???

me, Mack, Kris, Barb & Grandma Mary

Milazzo Family Picture

Dudek Family Picture - Danny, Aunt Lynn, Uncle Rick, & Mikey

Mark, Al, Lori, & Nick
(Uncle Rick's sister and family)


Throughout the year we may forget to express our graditude or give thanks. But, then Thanksgiving comes and it gives us the chance to really think about what we're thankful for in our lives. What are you thankful for? Have you yet answered the question?

I've thought a lot about what I'm thankful for this year. There's some big things, small things, obvious things, and not so obvious things...

I'm thankful for my family, my in-laws, and my friends...duh?! who isn't? can you dig deeper?

I'm thankful for my husband Brian. I've never met a more loving, thoughtful, caring, generous, and supportive person. Without him, I may never have gotten through everything the past 3 years. I'm the luckiest person in the world to get to spend the rest of my life with him.


I'm thankful for Dr. Hickey and the Hinsdale Center for Reproduction for making our dream of having a child come true. I'm thankful for the family who so graciously donated their embryos...not knowing who the recipient would be...and who are totally unaware of the gift they have given us.

I'm thankful for Baby Witko and the sweet little kicks and nudges that I'm starting to feel stronger and stronger everyday.

I'm thankful for the selling of our townhouse...which miraculously sold in only 19 days.

I'm thankful for my students. They are the hardest working kids in my school - they really never get a chance to just chill. Every year they answer with hard work and everlasting love. I'm so lucky to have the chance to be a part of their learning and their lives.

I'm thankful for my Trippy girl who makes me smile everyday. I love her snuggles and her kisses...and I even love it when she "talks" back to me when she's in trouble.

...now for some silly ones...

I'm thankful for McDonald's and their delicious Big Mac's...I think I'm going to see if Brian will run out and get me one right now! (yes, this has become my obsession/craving ;) McDonald's Big Mac's = heaven)

I'm thankful for anything mint...mint ice cream, mint M&M's, mint Oreo's, mint, mint, mint!

I'm thankful for our new FAKE Christmas tree and the fact that I won't have to water it and vaccuum under it every other day!

There are so many things I'm thankful for...my list could go on and on...I'll continue to tell God how thankful I am for Him and all that He has provided me...I couldn't have a better life or better people who surround me each and everyday. Thank YOU for being one of those people.

5 comments:

KatieK said...

What a sweet entry, Rachel. Brought me to tears as your blog posts often do! You have a gift with words, and we can definitely tell they come straight from your heart...

So glad you had such a great Thanksgiving day, and weekend, with your family. I can hardly wait to see your post NEXT Thanksgiving. It's sure to be a tear-jerker then too...with Baby Witko being at the top of your "I'm thankful for..." list!

We, your readers, have so much to be thankful for too! Thanks for sharing your heart with us, and allowing us to be a part of this journey with you.

Lots of Love--Katie

KatieK said...

OH...and I love your blue sweater! ;) Do you know where I could get a cream one. HA!

Barb said...

Ditto Katie K. I can't say it any better.
Love you lots, Barb

tamilazzo said...

Of course you made me cry again, as you often do with your story. When you started this blog, never in a million years could I have invisioned the story you've told us. Only God knew that the tale would have a wondrous ending, a baby for the family Witko! We are so blessed and I am thankful for so many things. I thank YOU my sweet girl and the words that you write; indeed, YOU are one of my special gifts.

I love you. Your Momma

Aunt Kim said...

This is one of the best posts, Rach! You truly capture the meaning of Thanksgiving. And the post above is correct...you do have a great way with words.

You look great and I love all of the pictures!!! :)

Oh -- FYI, its a "permanent tree" not a fake tree! (hehe) -- sounds so much better to those of us who also love the low-maintenance of it! :)

Congrats on the sale of your townhouse!

Can't wait for tomorrow's news!!

Love ya,
Aunt Kim