Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Glucose Screening

The glucose tolerance test is done between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy in order to identify gestational diabetes - a high blood sugar condition that some women get when they are pregnant.

My test was on Monday. When I arrived they gave me 10 oz. of an orange pop like sugary drink and 5 minutes to drink it. It wasn't that bad, I had it built up in my head that it was going to be much worse. I just wish it would have been cold. Then I had to wait an hour.

Just past the hour mark, the nurse called me to draw my blood. It was as simple as that.

Now, I just wait for the results. My doctor said that they would called if anything was abnormal, otherwise they would just talk to me about my results at my next OB appointment, which is February 3rd. I haven't received a call just yet, but who knows. If I happen to fail this glucose test, it doesn't necesarily mean that I have gestational diabetes. If I failed they'll call me back in for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test - same idea just they'll draw my blood at 30 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3 hours.

A big thanks goes out to my friend Katie, who kept me company while I waited for the hour. You're the best! Love you!

all gone!

3 comments:

Aunt Kim #1 said...

Glad you made it through it. Felt like I was right there with you w/ the FB posts....:)

Looking forward to hearing that everything is okay and next week's dinner post...um...ONE of your sisters is having a birthday and there's a countdown going on (hehe) and you better give that girl a big party w/ lots of balloons, candles and cake! (Love you, Mack!!)

Rachel, this picture looks awesome...you look so cute w/ the baby belly!!!!

Love you guys,
Aunt Kim (#1, as usual.....) :) JK

KatieK said...

I was more than happy to spend the hour with you! You gulped that orange stuff down like a champ...and that's a good thing because if you would have had any trouble, I might have had trouble just watching! :)

Can't believe it's almost the third trimester! This is going to be the most exciting one yet, I'm sure. Planning, showers, all things "baby!" Yay!

Love to you & Brian...and of course little McKenna...and Trippy! :)

Katie
(#2, as usual, unfortunately...) :)

Barb said...

I just found all your blogs for 2010! My stupid computer was hiding them or I'm techno challenged. It was so much fun reading all 9 blogs for the new year. It looks like the trip to OH was so fun with all that snow. I just got the one about Brian's wrestling weight. I thought he had reached his wrestling weight from high school but no... Most people don't know what he wrestled anyway and I won't tell, Rach.
I think this year will be one of the most exciting for the Witkowski family with a baby and a wedding! Love you guys lots and lots!