Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Special Time

10:00 - 10:30pm

i
t's my favorite time of the day

i
t's the time in the day when the world is quiet, teeth are brushed, prenatal pills are taken, the only light that is on is the bedside table lamp...

all that is left is sleep

we're all in bed...Brian on the right, me on the left, and Trippy laying in the middle against her sister

w
hat makes this so special?

w
ell, this is the time we take each day to read to McKenna

just about every night, we pick out a picture book

Brian reads

Trip and I listen

McKenna kicks

it's our way of winding down the day, being together, beginning tradition

it's our way of sharing something we both love with the little girl we love even more

I can't wait until
she's here snuggling with us

that'll only make it better

two of our favorites include...
...and...


The Bike Lesson was Brian's favorite book as a child and it is actually the copy that his mom & dad used to read to him - torn binding and all - you can tell it was loved

Stone Soup was a Christmas gift to McKenna from Aunt Kristen. Stone Soup was Kristen's favorite book as a child. "Soup from a stone...fancy that"

I wonder what McKenna's favorite book will be...

7 comments:

KatieK said...

It's not often that your posts leave me completely and utterly speechless...but this one sure did! I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Sweet beyond words. Thanks for sharing about this precious nightly ritual. I can definitely picture McKenna laying with the three of you listening to stories in just a few short months...(does it surprise you that I also picture Trip straddling Little One trying to give her kisses?!?!)

Love--Katie

Aunt Kim said...

Yes, very sweet post! I hope you add "Good Night Moon" to your collection! It was a favorite with my Marissa, Sammy & Sal.

Love, Aunt Kim

tamilazzo said...

You really take the wind out of my sails when I read your blog. If McKenna gets an ounce of your way with words, she will be one lucky little girl. Pretty sure Aunt Bella will be reading 'Grandma and Grandpa Smith'. Macker will you be reading 'I Love You Stinky Face'?

Great Blog!! Love you, Momma

tamilazzo said...

It means so much to me that you are reading McKenna my favorite book! I got teary reading your post. I hope she loves it as much as I did.
Love, Aunt Kris

Anonymous said...

So sweet. McKenna will have such a wonderful example set by you guys.

Soon-to-be grandma Barb said...

You are a great blogger, Rachel. Someday you will have to bind these blogs together and publish a book and sell a million copies, at least one for Mckenna. The "Bike Lesson" brings back such wonderful memories of little Brian. I knew he would be a smart kid when he had all the words memorized after reading it only a few times. Love you guys!!!!

Aunt Kim & Sal said...

Hi! Sal and I attended his school's book fair today and we were looking for a "McKenna Book". Didn't find anything appropraite or that we liked well enough to purchase, but we were thinking of you! This is one of those posts that stick-with-you...and we wanted to contribute to the nightly reading ritual, if we could. Sal found some cool army books, though! hehe :)

Love you guys!
Aunt Kim