Saturday, February 27, 2010

Here we go again...

I woke up Friday morning realizing that we didn't have school, we had Teacher Institute Day and I'll be at Neuqua Valley High School in the morning and Metea Valley High School in the afternoon for meetings...ugh...what am I going to do now?

I remembered that my dad has a blood pressure monitor at home, so I brought it along, figuring I'll just take my blood pressure at lunch.

My friend and co-worker, Leah and I had some delicious Portillo's as we tested my blood pressure:

My left arm was 140/92 and my right arm was 150/99...yikes. I called the doctor and left a message.

I was already in my afternoon meeting when I was finally able to talk to the nurse. She wanted me to come in the office as soon as possible. She also told me that if my blood pressure continues to be high, then I should be aware that they were going to send me right to the hospital.

I left Institute Day, by now I'm not paying any attention anyways, and I'm starting to freak out. I called my mom and Brian. My mom met me at the Dr.'s office.

While there, the nurse took my blood pressure again - 173/96, highest it's been yet

She had me give another urine sample in order to check for protein....there was none...and then told me to lay down on my side for about 5 minutes and they'll take it again. Did that...this time - 156/98

Off to Edwards Hospital.

They sent me to the Labor & Delivery department (which I joked with Brian that we don't need the OB tour now, we've had our own personal tour)

They immediately took a urine sample, hooked me up with a fetal heart rate monitor, a contraction montior, a blood pressure cuff that took my blood pressure every 20 minutes. The nurse also drew two vials of blood.

While we were there,
McKenna's heart rate maintained an average of about 145bpm, I was having small contractions, and my blood pressure was high, but steadily came down throughout the day.

My blood work came back fine, but the nurse wanted to send us for a biophysical profile before they sent me home. A biophysical profile combines an ultrasound evaluation with a nonstress test (NST) and is intended to determine fetal health during the third trimester. This test is performed if there is a question about fetal health and well being resulting from either an examination, maternal/fetal symptoms, or if the pregnancy is considered high risk.

When the baby moves, their heart rate should increase by about 15 beats. McKenna's heart rate wasn't increasing consistently enough, so they sent me for the test in order to make sure everything was okay.

The ultrasound tech checked the amniotic fluid, her breathing, the placenta, and her movement. McKenna scored her first 100% - everything looked just fine! Thank God.

When we got back to the room, the nurse said that we were free to go home, but not without instructions first. I have to make an appointment to see the doctor on Tuesday and I'm on modified bed rest until then. I also have to do a 24 hour urinalysis - which means from 7:30pm Friday night until 7:30pm Saturday night I have to collect my urine, all of it.


The excitement and drama is over for now, update to follow on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Glad Mckenna got 100%! I like that she's a honeydew melon now, it looks so much bigger but I really want to see her as a watermelon. Just relax and take it easy Rach, I am so not busy if you need anything I can do it!
You'd think that someone would start making those hospital gowns in more interesting material by now, like solid pink for girls or solid blue for boy babies.
Take care and call me if you need anything, please do! Love you guys!

KatieK said...

Oh, Rach...why, oh why, can't you have it the easy way every once in a while?! McKenna is going to be all the more special when she makes her arrival!

I'm so relieved that everything yesterday turned out okay. I'm glad you are at your parents so that you have many watchful eyes on you, making sure you take it easy! Tell Baby Girl that she needs to bake just a little while longer before coming out to play with all of us!

Love you bunches!
Katie

Aunt Kim said...

Wow! Once again, you amaze me with your strength & calmness. You know that you have everyone praying for you guys and here for you. Thank goodness your medical team is awesome!! Follow doctor's orders with that modified bed rest! You have soooooo much going on in your life....take advantage of the modified bed rest!!! We love you guys and looking forward to the very postive, good news update this week!!!!!

Love, Aunt Kim