Thursday, September 24, 2009

Graduation!

On Thursday Brian & I headed to HCR for our third and final ultrasound with Dr. Hickey. This was a fun appointment - Dr. Hickey played around with views of the baby and let us watch the wild one move around for quite a long time. We couldn't believe how active the baby was, he (no we don't know the sex yet, but to make it easy, today I'm going with 'he') was really moving like crazy. He was waving and kicking and we even saw him hiccuping! It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. The baby measured 10 weeks 6 days - 4 days bigger than expected! (I was 10 weeks 2 days) - and the heartbeat was 170 beats per minute.

I didn't realize but Thursday was "graduation" from Dr. Hickey's practice! It was my last visit with Dr. Hickey directly. I will continue to go there for blood work weekly - as they wean me off of the meds. I will admit (not that it will be much of a surprise to anyone) I got pretty emotional as we said good-bye to Dr. Hickey. For the past 2 1/2 years, he has been a big part of our life, and it's bittersweet to leave. I can't thank him enough for giving us this beautiful, healthy baby. I could cry right now just thinking about it.

October 15th is my first appointment with my new OB Dr. Weeks. It will definitely be weird to be on a "normal" pregnancy appointment schedule rather than the close monitoring we're used to with Dr. Hickey's office.

Brian & I with Dr. Hickey

Me and Beth, one of my many nurses that I love!

Baby Witko at 10 weeks 2 days. This ultrasound picture is showing the crown rump length measurement. Baby's head is lower right and the body extends diagonally to the left...you can see the arms!

Picture of the heartbeat...170 beats per minute...an amazingly quick flicker of light

Dr. Hickey flipped the image so now the baby's head is on top...Baby is covering his eyes up with his hands!Picture flipped back to original position. You can see baby's legs...they were kicking away!

------------------------------

Friday morning Amy from Dr. Hickey's office called with my blood work results. My progesterone was 132, my beta hCG was 117,000, and my thyroid was fine. The implications of these results is....drumroll please...

NO MORE INJECTIONS!!!!

My progesterone level came back really good, so I can discontinue the injections immediately!!! They want me to continue taking the oral progesterone 3x/day....ha!...that's not a problem at all! Brian & I couldn't be any more excited about how well the pregnancy is going so far. But, I'm not sure I'll be completely comfortable until our baby is here in April. Let's get through all 9 months first! I will enjoy each and every one of these small hurdles that I continue to clear just fine. I am pretty sure baby is jumping for joy too!

------------------------------

Let's Go Irish! Beat those Boilermakers!

5 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

Hi! The ultrasound pics are great! What an active little guy (or girl!) :)

I feel sad about your leaving Dr. Hickey and his staff, too! I like that you termed it "graduation" - that is a perfect word for your transition. Somehow, I have a feeling that you will keep him and the nurses updated with pictures and cards through the upcoming years! Thank you for the pics of him/nurses. It's great to have that visual of the people who so helped in this process.

Keep the pics/updates/notes coming!

We love you guys!!

Love, Aunt Kim

mugsy said...

I can't believe this is the first picture of Dr. Hickey. Funny thing is, he's not at all what I pictured. That's awesome news about the shots! I know that's a big relief for you. Have fun at dinner tonight. Tell everyone we say Hi. See you guys tomorrow. Big Night!! (play-offs and choke...not this time)
Go Irish!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! So glad that everything is going along smoothly, since it didn't before. You deserve a healthy pregnancy and baby after all you have been through! Keep the baby bump pics coming. Love you and Brian lots. Kushas! Jen

KatieK said...

I'm sure it won't surprise you when I say that I was tearing up looking at the little 'girlie' again today! (I'm going to refer to 'it' as a HER right now. I'm with Joan, no little nub in that 'froggie' picture, so my vote is for girl!)

And, I agree, Dr. Hickey is not what I pictured all these years. I'm not sure what I expected, but I don't think I would have picked out his picture if you showed me a bunch of doctors. :) Regardless, I 'love' the guy for helping to make this happen for you.

So glad you are thru with injections. Time to give your cheeks a rest, right!?

Hope you are having a great weekend. See you Monday...

Lots of Love--Katie

Aunt Kim said...

P.S. For the record, I have a very strong "boy" feeling, everyone!!! :)

I love the little pea-in-a-pod grapic that you put on the top of your page!!!!

Love,
Aunt Kim